Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Big Words for Little People

I had to hurry and write this down before I forgot. This morning I went with Ethan and his preschool class for a tour of the fire station. We agreed to bring along one other little girl, Ellie, in our car. The whole way there they chattered back and forth and mostly said words that were jibberish, then they would laugh hysterically. But somewhere in the mix of jibberish I caught on to a conversation that had me giggling quietly in the front seat. This is pretty much how it went:
Ellie: I'm not going to work when I get older. I'm going to be a mommy and take care of my baby.
Ethan: Ellie, you can't be a mommy until you're eight.
Ellie: Oh.
Ethan: So what are you gonna do until you're eight?
Ellie: I don't know. Maybe I'll just stay in preschool until then.
Ethan: That's a good idea.

Then the jibberish continued until they started making up stories. One involved a monster that ate them both but then spit them back out so they could run away. After this went on for a few minutes they said this...
Ethan: Well, Ellie. That is quite the story.
Ellie: Yes. Quite.
Ethan: Okay, let's stop joking around now.
Ellie: Yah, let's just tell the truth now.

I couldn't help it then. I started cracking up. It just goes to show that they pay a lot more attention to our adult conversations than we think..

1 comment:

TC Jolley said...

HAHA! That's awesome!... and crap, they listen? My kids are dead!